- May 21, 2013 CFO and State Fire Marshal Jeff Atwater, Marion County Sheriff Chris Blair and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Announce Arrests in ‘Operation Christmas Tree’ Florida Chief Financial Officer and State Fire Marshal Jeff Atwater, Marion County Sheriff Chris Blair and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives today announced multiple arrests in “Operation Christmas Tree,” an investigation into a series of residential structure fires in Marion County. The investigation resulted in the arrest of five individuals charged with organized fraud, arson and burning to defraud the insurer.
- May 20, 2013 CFO Jeff Atwater and Attorney General Pam Bondi Announce Meeting of the Medicaid and Public Assistance Fraud Strike Force
On Tuesday, Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, Chair, and Attorney General Pam Bondi, Vice Chair, will hold a meeting of the Medicaid and Public Assistance Fraud Strike Force in Tallahassee. The 11-member Strike Force will present their interim report and the results of the survey of the agencies that are part of the Strike Force.
- May 20, 2013 CFO Jeff Atwater Prepares Small Business Owners for the 2013 Hurricane Season Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater’s Department of Financial Services is hosting a series of free disaster preparedness webinars for small business owners as a part of Small Business Week, which began on May 19, and ahead of the start of the 2013 Hurricane Season. The webinars are part of CFO Atwater’s “Protect Your Home Base” initiative and are aimed at helping small businesses plan and prepare for a natural disaster.
- May 13, 2013 CFO Jeff Atwater: Check for Unclaimed Property before Statewide Auction Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater today asked Floridians to check for unclaimed property prior to his Bureau of Unclaimed Property’s Statewide Auction, an annual sale of unclaimed safe deposit box contents turned over to the state. The auction, which is open to the public, will be held June 8, in Tampa, at the Grand Hyatt Hotel.
- May 10, 2013 CFO Jeff Atwater Announces Arrest of Three North Florida Roofers for Unlicensed Insurance Activity
Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater announced today the arrests of Derek Shawn Kellog, 31, Crawfordville; Corey Jermaine Brownlee, 30, Jacksonville; and Sean McCaslin, 49, Tallahassee; employees of Roofmasters, Inc., for acting as unlicensed public adjusters while soliciting homeowners for roof repairs in the Tallahassee area.